RAGNARÖK ONLINE Site officiel : www.ragnarokeurope.com

Original iRO on android

36 replies to this topic

#21 Shizosophical

• Members_G

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Unfortunately is not a orginal app from Gravity. It was good, when Gravity make a handy version of ragnarok online(android,ios etc) Ro is a old game with new modernized updates(example : new prontera in kRo) I think, it´s not so hard this game to set in a app version. The app version would "lure" new player in game. Gravity would profit about the app version and would have a better turnover.

#22 Shoushiken

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostShizosophical, on 31 August 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

it´s not so hard this game to set in a app version.

"Not so hard".. I'm a bit worried of what you'd consider hard work then.
For starters, there are a ton of usability issues... what looks and works great on a large PC screen doesn't necessarily work well on a 5" touch display. A customizable skill bar with 36 slots is just impossible. You'd have to zoom it in every time you want to access it.. otherwise, good luck hitting the correct box with your finger and not accidentally dragging. Zooming the skill bar might obscure other important things on the screen. You cannot play well with a zoomed in skill bar since you'd have to tap skills one by one and then, for most of them, select a target... You could limit it to a single 9 slot skill bar.. but that greatly reduces most characters' potential.
You do not have a mouse and keyboard so you'd have to use only touch for everything. Try playing Ragnarok with just your mouse for half an hour and test it out how much fun it is - I doubt it will be very pleasing. Combine that with the this looks too small on a 5" display problem and you're already at a dead end, usability-wise. There'd also be no way of skill spamming or moving while using skills.
They'd have to re-design the entire UI to scale better to smartphone displays - the whole multi-window design (character, skill bar, equipment, guild, party) doesn't work on a small screen.. you just cannot fit so much on a smartphone display in a readable, well structured fashion.
Neither the fact that you have to maintain a stable connection to the server (with each clock sync message being answered) nor the wasteful and redundant usage of network resources work well with mobile networks or app concurrency - if you have another app in foreground or the phone locked, you'd most likely get disconnected every time and have to log in again.
I could go on about stuff like that for a while (graphics engine rewrite, memory usage of the game files, three different versions of all this for iOS/Android/Windows Phone, etc.). Trust me, this would be nuts.
Posted Image<- thank you, Nevina <3

#23 CH Garomi

Community Helper

• Moderators
  • 1134 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

@Shoushiken: Totally agree and common': playing (the real) RO (without a good interface port) on +/- 5"... Posted Image That's something I wouldn't even think about ^^
Notice about recent scamming attempts. Please read this carefully. *Click*

#24 Shizosophical

• Members_G

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostShoushiken, on 01 September 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

"Not so hard".. I'm a bit worried of what you'd consider hard work then.
For starters, there are a ton of usability issues... what looks and works great on a large PC screen doesn't necessarily work well on a 5" touch display. A customizable skill bar with 36 slots is just impossible. You'd have to zoom it in every time you want to access it.. otherwise, good luck hitting the correct box with your finger and not accidentally dragging. Zooming the skill bar might obscure other important things on the screen. You cannot play well with a zoomed in skill bar since you'd have to tap skills one by one and then, for most of them, select a target... You could limit it to a single 9 slot skill bar.. but that greatly reduces most characters' potential.
You do not have a mouse and keyboard so you'd have to use only touch for everything. Try playing Ragnarok with just your mouse for half an hour and test it out how much fun it is - I doubt it will be very pleasing. Combine that with the this looks too small on a 5" display problem and you're already at a dead end, usability-wise. There'd also be no way of skill spamming or moving while using skills.
They'd have to re-design the entire UI to scale better to smartphone displays - the whole multi-window design (character, skill bar, equipment, guild, party) doesn't work on a small screen.. you just cannot fit so much on a smartphone display in a readable, well structured fashion.
Neither the fact that you have to maintain a stable connection to the server (with each clock sync message being answered) nor the wasteful and redundant usage of network resources work well with mobile networks or app concurrency - if you have another app in foreground or the phone locked, you'd most likely get disconnected every time and have to log in again.
I could go on about stuff like that for a while (graphics engine rewrite, memory usage of the game files, three different versions of all this for iOS/Android/Windows Phone, etc.). Trust me, this would be nuts.

We People have different representations. I have different perceptions to a "satisfied Adaptation" for a app version. A app version is not meaningsful for Woe,PvP etc., rather for chatting,looking shops in prontera and buying and leveling for new player. The topic with the slots and skill bar...The Multi-Window or a "Hub" are the solution. I think, it´s can to integrate in a app version. But is not so easy and not to hard. Keyboard is done with the multi-window and the hub-system. The Mouse-Funktion is possible for "low leveling" (novice ground) and the other mentioned examples. 5 Zoll Display is for me enough. Final following shouldn´t have great expectations for a app version Posted Image

#25 Shoushiken

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

Alright, so you'd want a limited version for basic stuff like doing the training ground, grinding on some monsters, chatting and shopping which would rule out some of the UI problems (not all of them). Fine /no1 Even the connectivity problem could be somehow taken care of by displaying a loading icon and doing the log-in → (previous) character select process automatically in background.
That still leaves a complete engine rewrite including a port from DirectX / Direct3D to OpenGL or Metal (iOS). Literally everything would have to be written from scratch, including reading and rendering all the file formats (sprites, maps), assembling the sprites to characters with equip, a GRF library, LUA integration and a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't have any experience in that kind of software project management. But before something like that goes into beta status.. I'd expect it to take 2-3 years and the development costs would be insane.
I have my doubts about the economic feasibility.. regardless of whether it's done in Korea where developers for mobile games probably don't earn $100k+ a year (don't forget you'd need some for iOS and Android at least) - I won't even start talking about the rest of the staff.
It would turn out to be a huge waste of money.

#26 Wizzzzard

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

There's actually a nearly finished client available for the browser.
(so every device that can use html5 with webGL would be able to run it)
But well... Gravity didn't program that one, so we wont be allowed to use it ^^'

#27 Wolyahwa

Moonlight Flower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationPayon Cave

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Well..... there are "much easier ways" to play ragnarok on any "android" mobile device which is basically not a 3rd party tool... (Correct me if I'm wrong there... but I'm just talking about remote "PC" access)

All you need is an PC with google crome and the crome addon for google remote desktop (Which can all be found in the google playstore too)

You set up the browser and remote access on your PC (with crome) and login on your android phone or tablet (via the Remote app)

This gives you remote access to your PC with your phone (Use WiFi if you want to spare your data volume)

For more comfort, you could add a mouse and keyboard to your tablet! (if you have a micro USB adapter)

It's a great thing if your at school or work and have to check on your selling during the lunch break or so

Hope that help everyone about "mobile" gaming
Posted Image

#28 Shizosophical

• Members_G

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the nice advice :) I´ll try it :)

#29 Volvox

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:22 PM

Windows 10 Tablet also does the deal..

Concerning an euRO App, why shouldnt that be possible? Ever heard of Dofus..?

#30 Shoushiken

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostVolvox, on 12 October 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

Concerning an euRO App, why shouldnt that be possible? Ever heard of Dofus..?

It isn't impossible - just uneconomical due to the reasons mentioned above.
tl;dr: would require tedious interface re-design, control still inefficient with just touch & gestures, needs full game engine rewrite, resources too large for a smartphone app (~2GB data), difficult to maintain a connection to the server, would waste a lot of mobile data and battery, hell of expensive to develop.

#31 Wolyahwa

Moonlight Flower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationPayon Cave

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostShoushiken, on 13 October 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

tl;dr: would require tedious interface re-design, control still inefficient with just touch & gestures, needs full game engine rewrite, resources too large for a smartphone app (~2GB data), difficult to maintain a connection to the server, would waste a lot of mobile data and battery, hell of expensive to develop.
To large eh? *cough*Summoners War takes up to 1,6GB already*cough* Besides, "Size doesn't matter" *nodnod*
Here's an different approach of that : an separate android app where you could get stuff that you couldn't get normally ingame would be something interesting!
(Like, an spinoff game or something like that)

There was an old RO game back then on iRO where you could farm points and transfer stuff from the game to your account^^
Posted Image

#32 Cookieraider

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

While the most obvious choice would be remoting for this, I would recommend native tools instead of Chrome Remote Desktop or TeamViewer, because it might be faster. This is a big might tough, since there are no guarantees ever for me to be right, and I do not really know how the insides of the non native apps work on the host desktop side.

We totally know that Microsoft is evil, but they actually have a pretty nice remote desktop client for Android, which is not actually that bad either. I did use it for emergency situations when I needed to access my PC at work. I did not test / do not know that it would support mouse and keyboard input, but I would guess if your phone supports USB OTG, then it should work properly. There are also many more unofficial RDP clients for Android.
If your PC happens to sit inside a LAN that requires NAT, you might forward the RDP port (default 3389) on your router (this might be a potential security issue); or if you cannot or will not do that, you can do this with an SSH tunnel to be on the safe side. ConnetBot supports that, there might be others too.
Concerning iOS I have absolutely no clue, since I was never ever involved with any of it. RDP should work, but do not know about SSH tunneling or USB support.

Either way you will need a somewhat decent uplink on the PC side, a decent phone and to set the RDP resolution lower than native, or your eyes will pop out :)

But if (and this is an even bigger if than the previous might) you are really dedicated and want to mess around there might be a few more choices to try:

1. CrossOver aims to do exactly what we want here: to run Windows apps on Android. The catch is, that it only runs on Intel based devices, and it is very likely that there will be no more devices based on that platform ever since Intel ditched the mobile segment.

2. Ubuntu is now available for phones and tablets. Since its Linux, there is no limit to the hacking to be done, RDP or Windows "emulation" could work. (I did use RDP on Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 LTS and found it to be snappier than the Microsoft implementation.) The catch is that you most likely don't own such a device, and its probably not recommended to buy one :(

#33 Nereida

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostCookieraider, on 05 January 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

The catch is that you most likely don't own such a device, and its probably not recommended to buy one :(
This is what I expected to read. From what I'm told, one of the best features of Ubuntu Phone is ditching Ubuntu and installing Android.
Posted Image

They grow so slowly!

#34 Bookish Brenda

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

No, I'd say one of the best features of Ubuntu Phones is timely (security) updates. The platform still has a lot of issues and missing features. Also, the phone/tablet version is not quite the same as the desktop version.

If you wanted an android phone, you could just get one .. cheaper. They're ubiquitous.
Posted Image

#35 Volvox

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostShoushiken, on 13 October 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

Sure, but these things all apply to a bunch of games, that are still very popular? 90% of the issues you mentioned do apply to Dofus mobile version for example..
Theres Baldurs Gate I+II, Titans Quest and more games, that feature the same gameplay.. even a lot of mmo games for android, which are playable with a decent
mobile connection... and it might attract new players, which would justifie production expanses..

Dont get me wrong, I neither need this, nor do I think it would be a good way experiencing RO.. but I wouldnt call it uneconomical, if done right..play store has a huge reach..

#36 Cookieraider

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostBookish Brenda, on 07 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

No, I'd say one of the best features of Ubuntu Phones is timely (security) updates. The platform still has a lot of issues and missing features. Also, the phone/tablet version is not quite the same as the desktop version.

If you wanted an android phone, you could just get one .. cheaper. They're ubiquitous.

I've got mad skills not reading and replying in the forum! :)

I'd say the security risk of the average Ubuntu desktop user (if there is any that fits this definition) is pretty much zero if a few established guidelines are met. Probably its the same for an average Android user, with even less restrictions (no apps from untrusted sources, no apps with all kinds of access and very few downloads, and maybe some browser goodies for some comfort). With Ubuntu mobile being extremely rare, I don't know if the security updates can be reasonably justified.

#37 Wolfiano

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMogadishu, Banadir, Somalia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

How can u make the game work with touch screen :P i played a bit on my tablet but with a mouse/keyboard cus using the touchscreen doesn't work :(

Hi everyone!!

If you looking for a fun guy real nice very rich high quality very cheap low price heavy machine techincal support manager various uses then i am your guy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards

Kharoof The King Of Laggnarok "Europe" <--- not actually hosted there everyone knows thatPosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users