shield

4 replies to this topic

#1 Cookieraider

Poring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

I started to play this game occasionally again for a few months after a really long break (I did last play before renewal somewhere in 2010).

I really liked the shield crusader that time and among a few support/slave characters I decided to make another as my main. Of course due to renewal I feel like a complete novice again and something really does not add up with shield skills. AFAIK way before Shield Boomerang was also affected with % damage boosting cards and gear, and now it generally seems it is absolutely not. I did search around a bit, and expect from the skill being shitty etc. there is really no official hint on % damage boosting stuff being ignored. As for my observation nothing really affects it except your shield, which was not the way it worked before. Soul Link works obviously but multiplying something extremely crappy will stay still way too crappy. (I did not test Tamruan Card yet, the 10% damage is not a big deal anyway, and I did not want to slot it into a temporary shield.)

On the other hand Smite seems to take these into account, and also seems to scale with weapon ATK. Now this is quite the opposite as with Shield Boomerang, actually its quite nonsense.

Now obviously I did not try out every possible combination here, due to being low level and in a lack of gear and resources. Should I classify this madness as a bug/feature? Is this the same since renewal? Also how does this affect further shield skills as a Paladin/Royal Guard? Does this mean that shields are now dead weight only, their respective skills rendered useless, and the way of the shield is a no-go anymore?

#2 Wink

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

The "% damage boosting Cards" do not exist any more. the 20% Cards do now boost only the atk not the dmg by 20%.
So many old skills would not work like they worked before.

And even i dont know, if i see at irowiki:
"Anything that increases attack by an absolute value does not add damage." i think Shield boomerang do very low dmg because you should afaik only have the weapon atk worked. the Equip like Bravery Bag or BSB do not add dmg....

They made sadly the crusader cls from the Shield Wall to the spear berserker (at RG you get from shield nice buffs but your dmg skills all spear skills)

#3 Artorias

Poring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

A Royal Guard doesn't use offensive shield skills anymore.

You can level up your Paladin with Rapid Smiting at Dark Priest, Magmaring and Cornus but at the latest from level 120 on you should use your Spear Skills.

#4 Cookieraider

Poring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Bollocks!

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I also read irowiki regarding the boomerang skill, and had understanding that % cards only affect weapon attack, but since shield skills were based on a slightly different system, I thought they were mostly left alone. This still does not make sense how Smite was affected by equipped weapon and why Shield Boomerang did the same damage even bare handed. (The latter did work the same way before but at least did decent damage.)

Well in this case basically all non attack or weapon attack skills are worth a lot less now. Nevertheless does the Royal Guard not use offensive shield skills since they are the same way crappy (eg. Earth Drive), or are the spear skills that much better?

#5 Wink

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Overbrand is the best AoE from RG Earth Drive cant touch it.
Banishing point is the best "spamm" Single target dmg. Shield Press lose also again it.
i mean Earth Drive can do dmg yes. But Overbrand is way better. so Earth Drive is most only used to remove groundspells.
(also that you always need a sacred mission für that skill if you dont want to break your shield)
at single its also Banishing point ist way better in DPS and only you can use the Stun effect Shield press is good.

@Smite:
Cant say why it do more dmg. But it could be that it was buffed with renewal, i remember something that it was short after renewal lot more dmg than before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users