7 replies to this topic

#1 Nightroad

Drops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

I've got a really weird situation today with chat in prontera. Apparently someone tried to scam me using GM names.

1. He started to propose me an offer and then he asked me to go geffen "left kafra" and make a chat for 2 ppls claiming that GM would be able to join it anyway.
2. He was writing almost synchronously with "fake?" GM attempt?
3. Asked me to go on a discord channel
4. When I started to feel something is definitely wrong here he started threatening me that I'll get a ban because I've used some tpp or something.

The character was a novice which also made me more cautious about this thing. Name: ForTheSakeOfLove, he used GM_Serish and GM06 names.

So I guess he tried me to lure me to a fake or maybe infected discord client. Probably blackmail me for my account access or real money or something else to "prevent me from getting banned" or so.

Here are screenshots from this conversation:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was the first time I got scammed like that in this game. Is it common on EuRO? I mean I saw the information on patcher and splash screens but I've never seen attack that was such "advanced". Plus this was like first time in a couple of years I play this game.

I'm aware of most techniques used by scammers / hackers and i suspect that most likely these messages were previously prepared and the GM_Serish and RO_GM06 is just a part of message with a clever whitespace breaking lines. But at first minute that really made me kinda worried.

My advises here:
1. Never go on a link provided like that and don't download and execute any program from such website.
2. The less conversation you do with such ppls the better - they can say whatever they did to you or your computer already even if that is all lies.
3. Report.

Keep your account and confidential data safe. Don't feed those criminals.

#2 Fuzzy.

Mastering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

Yes, they're trying this method quite a lot recently.

There are official warnings about them:
https://forum.ragnar...e-game-masters/
&
https://forum.ragnar...re-of-scammers/

sometime even an ingame broadcast.

There is actually an official euRO discord server:
https://forum.ragnar...urope-official/

though i don't think he wanted to get you there /heh
It has a channel to report those zeny spammers and scammers directly.
Mostl of the time there are 1 or 2 GMs there.

Most often when i see those scammers I just try to troll them and have fun with weird questions or something they got wrong about the GMs. For example GM_Serish hasn't been around for months now. /heh
Posted Image (The original since 2005)
175: Genetic (150 Amistr-Sera) | 2x GX | Sura | RK | RG // 165: Ranger // 164: Sorcerer // 150+: Rebel

My latest compiled bits:
Posted ImageAndroid: bit.ly/2usrfJk | iOS: apple.co/2OtbAlZ

#3 Chayze

Marin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

What Fuzzy says.
The Trick is, they use messages with a lot of spaces, like
hmmm												GM_Serish : squinka busy?
If you expand your chat room window, you can see that it's a one line message, trying to trick you.

#4 Nightroad

Drops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

Chayze, on 03 December 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

The Trick is, they use messages with a lot of spaces, like
hmmm												GM_Serish : squinka busy?
If you expand your chat room window, you can see that it's a one line message, trying to trick you.

Yep, that's exactly what I mentioned here:

Nightroad, on 03 December 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

these messages were previously prepared and the GM_Serish and RO_GM06 is just a part of message with a clever whitespace breaking lines.

#5 JamesWindsor

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:35 AM

Also just check the list of people in the chat room

Oh and also, GM's wouldnt approach you in that manner, never ever have i seen that in my years of RO.

#6 Escalate

Poporing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

i think cuz its close to christmas this scammer thinks we dont care rly anymore and so they try it
Posted Image

#7 XD~

Mastering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1764 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:32 AM

GMs have the same limits for Chatrooms as normal players, so if 2 ppl are in a 2ppl Chat they can’t enter.
If there is a GM in a chatroom, they are always listed in the name list on the right side of the chat.
They usually try to make you install teamviewer programs so they can see your screen and make you note down your login information. Then there are different attempts, first they tell you that you can be an event gm (something like that does not exist on euro) but have to pay money. This usually happens by requesting vouchers like for steam etc. so it can’t be traced/charged back. Obviously there is no need for this.
If that doesn’t work, they try to threaten you that you will be banned. They don’t have that power but when they get you acc info with the teamviewer Trick they would violate the rules to get you banned and then spam you on the messenger that you have to pay to unlock it. Also stupid. Usually GMs can see if it was a third party access by those scammers and just put on a safety ban. Contact them and they will usually be able to unlock the acc again with a changed password.

So yeah, some insights on it. Please don’t fall for it but feel free to troll them :)

Posted Image

#8 Crazy Mechanic

Drops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

Dude, why this server have so much scammers but actually a low player base? damn it....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users